[BioC] pre-ranked GSEA within R? + Best DESeq2/limma-voom metric?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Jan 19 07:07:42 CET 2014

Hi Jose,

Doing a one-sample t-test of the logFCs for a gene set is very similar to
the test proposed by

  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20048385

(Actually that paper did a z-test of t-statistics, and criticized the test
of logFCs as ignoring unequal variances betweeen genes.]

You're right that this is different from GSEA, and in fact it has been
criticized directly by the GSEA authors themselves:

  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23070592

The point I was making in my previous email, is that the criticism made by
the GSEA authors of the logFC test applies equally to the GSEA pre-ranked
test.  So I suspect the GSEA authors would not recommend the pre-ranked
test themselves unless there was no alternative (i.e., no replicates).

Best wishes
Gordon