[BioC] pre-ranked GSEA within R? + Best DESeq2/limma-voom

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 18 00:53:03 CET 2014

Dear Garcia and Daniel,

If you must do a GSEA pre-ranked analysis, then I think the best statistic
to use is a shrunken fold change, as it is the best predictor of the size
of the biological effect for each gene.  (Statistical significance meauses
something slightly different.)  The predFC() and glmFit() functions of the
edgeR package have offered "predictive fold changes" for quite a few
years, and they would still be my choice for this purpose.  voom and
DESeq2 are more recent alternatives, but I still recommend predFC() with
prior.count=3 or 5 for this purpose.  And predFC() will work even without
biological replicates.

However a GSEA pre-ranked analysis does not (and cannot) give correct
p-values, regardless of the metric used, because it does not take account
of inter-gene correlations.  This has been shown by a number of published
papers.  For example, Wu et al (2012) showed that pre-ranked gene set
analyses give spectactularly wrong p-values even when the inter-gene
correlation is as low as 0.05.  Have a look at Table 1 of:

  http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/17/e133

The GSEA pre-ranked analysis has similar behaviour to "geneSetTest" in
this table.  See the remark about GSEA in the last sentence of page 9.

If your data has biological replicates, then more reliable methods are
readily available.  I don't know whether you want to test one gene set or
the whole MSigDb collection.  Either way, the mroast() or camera() methods
of the limma package work seamlessly with either voom or edgeR for RNA-seq
data, and either will take account inter-gene correlations.  See for
example the roast() and camera() tests presented in the first case study
of:

   http://www.statsci.org/smyth/pubs/VoomPreprint.pdf

(This paper will appear in Genome Biology next month.)

Best wishes
Gordon