[BioC] Comparison of murine and human microarray data

Sylvain Brohée sbrohee at ulb.ac.be
Tue Apr 22 16:22:24 CEST 2014

Hi Bas,

First of all, I would say that I would not recommend to to this kind of
stuff as it seems kind of dirty to me.

However, recently, I was 'kindly' asked to perform this type of analyze
and I used the good old ComBat function from the sva package to remove
the batch effect between human and mouse. In order to have a reliable
matrix from the beginning, I used only those genes that had the same
gene names (in capital letters for mouse).

This is the code I used :

Let's eset be the mouse dataset and human.exp.names.agg be the human
dataset. Genes are in rows and experiments in columns.

row.names(eset) <- toupper(row.names(eset))
human.mouse.complete <- merge(human.exp.names.agg, eset, by = 'row.names')
row.names(human.mouse.complete) <- human.mouse.complete[,1]
human.mouse.complete <- human.mouse.complete[,-1]
pheno.mod0 <- data.frame(row.names = names(human.mouse.complete), fact.1
= rep(1, ncol(human.mouse.complete)), fact.2 =  rep(2,
ncol(human.mouse.complete)))
mod0 <- model.matrix(~1, data = pheno.mod0)
human.mouse.complete.combat <- ComBat(human.mouse.complete, c(rep(1,
human.exp.nb), c(rep(2,22))), mod = mod0)

It seemed to give satisfactory results.

If there are more "clever" ways, I would be happy to hear about them!

Cheers,

Sylvain