[BioC] detecting oscillating genes from RNA-seq data

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 3 05:16:03 CEST 2014

Dear Mali,

It is easy to do such an analysis directly in edgeR.

Suppose for example that you are looking for a daily cycle, and that you
have at least half a dozen time points spanning more than a full day.  The
method is to create basis vectors for a periodic expression pattern.
Suppose that 'time' is time in hours:

   s1 <- sin(2*pi*time/24)
   c1 <- cos(2*pi*time/24)
   design <- model.matrix(~s1+c1)

This will give a design matrix with three columns: one for the intercept
and two for the periodic signal.  To test for a periodic cycle:

   fit <- glmFit(y,design)
   lrt <- glmLRT(fit,coef=2:3)

If you have lots of time points and you want to make a more complex curve
you can add a harmonic:

   s2 <- sin(4*pi*time/24)
   c2 <- cos(4*pi*time/24)
   design <- model.matrix(~s1+c1+s2+c2)

There are now four coefficients parametrizing the periodic curve.  (These
can be viewed as representing amplitudes and phase shifts for the two
harmonics.)  I think you would seldom want more than two harmonics for
RNA-seq data.

This method can easily be adapted to find cell-cycle genes and so on.

Best wishes
Gordon