[BioC] Patient and matched control paired data

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Thu Oct 31 16:05:01 CET 2013

Hi Steve,

The simple answer is that you don't have a paired design. Simply
matching cases and controls is not the same thing.

The reason people account for pairing (or other dependence structures)
is because paired data violate the assumption of independence between
samples that one normally makes when fitting a linear model. In other
words, we normally assume that there is no correlation between samples,
and have to make adjustments when there is some correlation.

Matching cases and controls on a set of phenotypes doesn't introduce
correlation. Instead, it is simply a method that tries to reduce
unwanted variability from uninteresting phenotypes.

Best,

Jim