[BioC] ComBat: Working with no replicates

Pekka Kohonen pkpekka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 13:18:22 CET 2013

Dear Pedro,

If you have just one sample from the lab, how do you differentiate
between the cell line-specific effect and the lab-specific effect? I
don't see how you are trying to do with these 3 samples makes any
sense. If you have the same cell lines measured in a different lab
(which has enough samples to run ComBat) why not just use those then?
Also, I wonder what is the minimum number of samples to estimate a
lab-specific distribution (which is what Combat is doing) for each
gene? Probably 5-10 samples or so?

I think that statistics should not be treated as just a way to hack
your data so that it appears to be OK. This sounds a bit like doing
that. :-)

Best, Pekka

P.S. my name in Finnish means "Pedro"