[BioC] SCAN.UPC for Illumina arrays?

Steve Piccolo stephen.piccolo at hsc.utah.edu
Fri Nov 15 19:56:37 CET 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your message. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Several other people have also requested support for Illumina expression
arrays. We are working to address this soon. However, rather than provide
a function that is specific to Illumina arrays, we will likely provide a
more generic UPC function that users can invoke for whatever platform they
wish. Optionally, the user could indicate the GC content for each
probe/gene on whichever platform they are using. So it sounds like this
information could be extracted pretty easily from the illuminaHumanV.db
packages, as Mark mentioned. I'm planning to work on this functionality
soon and will add it to the devel version of the package. I'll let you
know as soon as I have it ready for testing. I'll also see if I can put
together a little primer that demonstrates how to invoke this on Illumina
arrays specifically.

As far as adding an option to specifically handle TCGA/RSEM files, can you
give me a little more information about this file format. Is it mostly
just used within TCGA? Or is it used more broadly in other contexts? I
wouldn't be opposed to adding a helper function for handling these files,
but am hesitant about opening this up for many different formats.

Regards,
-Steve