[BioC] DEseq for chip-seq data normalisation

Rory Stark Rory.Stark at cruk.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 6 20:16:16 CET 2013

Hi Ying-

We actually just changed the default normalization from effective to full
library size in the most recent release. The reason is that while
effective is frequently a better choice, it is based on the assumption
that overall binding levels in all the samples is similar. When this
assumption is incorrect, it can result in substantially incorrect results;
using full library size when effective applies results in less
catastrophically wrong answers.

I will definitely be changing normalization to use effective sizes when it
is the right thing to do, but I have become aware that many (most?)
DiffBind users don't change the defaults, so we determined that a more
conservative default was preferable.

I'm not sure what you're asking regarding "try and minimize changes
between conditions" in this context?

Cheers-
Rory