[BioC] QuasR: how to use an indexed reference genome?

Paul Shannon paul.thurmond.shannon at gmail.com
Fri May 17 15:01:29 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your quick and clarifying response.

Since it is not possible to use pre-built indices from the bowtie developers, I would be glad to have a small recipe (perhaps featured prominently in the vignette?) which

  1) explains the need for custom-built indices
  2) provides (perhaps) a standalone QuasR-specific command for creating one

My somewhat fuzzy grasp of the current approach is that

  1) QuasR sees the string "BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19" on a call to qAlign
  2) QuasR then spends a few hours building a new package with the proper index
  3) and saves this package somewhere (I could not figure out where)

I agree that a one-time cost to create a QuasR index is quite reasonable, given all the benefits of the package.

Maybe it's just my own muddle-headedness, but I could not -- and still cannot :} -- figure out how to do it, where the result is written, and thus how to reuse the index on subsequent runs.

Can you give me some assistance?

Many thanks,

 - Paul