[BioC] Limma removeBatchEffect

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Jul 31 15:59:28 CEST 2013

Hi Arne,

On 7/31/2013 3:24 AM, Mueller, Arne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a question regarding the removeBatchEffect function in limma. I basically have a model expression_signal ~ organ + species + organ:species in which species can be considered a batch effect (I expect differences between species due to mainly due to array platform differences). I'd like to derive an expression signal matrix that's "corrected" for the species effect (but not for the organ effect).

 From ?removeBatchEffect:

Details
This function is useful for removing batch effects, associated with
hybridization time or other tech-
nical variables, prior to clustering or unsupervised analysis such as
PCA or heatmaps. It is not
intended to use with linear modelling. For linear modelling, it is
better to include the batch factors
in the linear model.

So as the help says, fit the batch effects as part of the linear model
and construct whatever interactions you want.

Best,

Jim