[BioC] Diffbind : use of controlBam

Rory Stark Rory.Stark at cruk.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 29 13:36:17 CEST 2013

Hi Daniele and Thomas-

Given that the controls are actually ChIPs with signal, you are certainly
correct to take them into account, and not surprising that this has an
effect on clustering.

One thing I'd suggest to get a better handle on this effect is to compare
different counting/normalization scores. You can try these by using the
"score" parameter to dba.plotHeatmap (or simply plot) and dba.plotPCA (I'd
definitely be looking at PCA plots in this case, esp. if you are seeing
batch effects in some cases).

For example, you can compare scores that do or don;t take the control into
account:

* DBA_SCORE_READS vs. DBA_SCORE_READS_MINUS or DBA_SCORE_READS_FOLD
* DBA_SCORE_RPKM vs DBA_SCORE_RPKM_FOLD
* DBA_SCORE_TMM_READS_FULL or DBA_SCORE_TMM_READS_EFFECTIVE vs
DBA_SCORE_TMM_MINUS_FULL or DBA_SCORE_TMM_MINUS_EFFECTIVE

The DBA_SCORE_RPKM scores would be a good place to start!

Cheers-
Rory