[BioC] Quickest way to convert IDs in a data frame?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Fri Jul 26 01:45:21 CEST 2013

On 07/25/2013 03:54 PM, Enrico Ferrero wrote:
> Hi both,
>
> Thanks for your insights, this is extremely interesting!
>
> While I (kind of) understand why NAs get removed, deliberately
> truncating the output that way is probably not what most people
> expect. It may be worth considering filing a bug report for this?
>
> This also brings me back to my original question: what's the simplest
> and most effienct way to create an exact copy of a column containing
> converted IDs in a data.frame?
>
> I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an easy ready-to-go solution,
> as I would imagine it is a rather common task to perform.

There is no ready-to-go solution, because, as Jim pointed out, the
problem of the multiple mappings cannot be solved in a meaningful
way without some extra knowledge. It's not a limitation of the software,
it's a problem inherent to the nature of the data itself.

However, the 1st thing you can do to reduce the number of multiple
mappings is to request only the columns you are interested in.
For example:

   > library(org.Hs.eg.db)

   > select(org.Hs.eg.db, key="ALOX5", keytype="ALIAS",
            cols=c("SYMBOL","ENTREZID","ENSEMBL"))
     ALIAS SYMBOL ENTREZID         ENSEMBL
   1 ALOX5  ALOX5      240 ENSG00000012779
   2 ALOX5  ALOX5      240 ENSG00000262552

   > select(org.Hs.eg.db, key="ALOX5", keytype="ALIAS", cols="ENTREZID")
     ALIAS ENTREZID
   1 ALOX5      240

ALOX5 is mapped to 2 Ensembl ids, but only to one Entrez id. So by
requesting only the ENTREZID, ALOX5 does not generate 2 rows anymore.

Now a *blunt* approach to get rid of all keys with multiple mapping
is to treat them as if they had no mapping (this avoid having to
choose a particular row for the key, convenient but of course not
satisfactory). The way to do this is to do a little bit of preprocessing
of the 'key' vector and a little bit of post-processing of the
data.frame returned by select():

   library(org.Hs.eg.db)

   mydf <- read.table("testdata.txt", sep="\t", header=TRUE, as.is=TRUE)

   mykeys0 <- mydf$GeneSymbol1
   mykeys <- unique(mykeys0[!is.na(mykeys0)])
   mytest <- select(org.Hs.eg.db, key=mykeys, keytype="ALIAS",
cols="ENTREZID")

   is_multiple_mapping <- duplicated(mytest$ALIAS) |
duplicated(mytest$ALIAS, fromLast=TRUE)
   mytest0 <- mytest[!is_multiple_mapping, ]
   mytest0 <- mytest0[match(mykeys0, mytest0$ALIAS), ]
   mytest0$ALIAS <- mykeys0
   rownames(mytest0) <- NULL

Each row in 'mytest0' faces the corresponding key in 'mykeys0'.

Cheers,
H.

> As I
> mentioned in my first post, the for loop function works, but it's
> highly inefficient.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
>
> Best,
>

> On 25 July 2013 23:18, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org> wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> You're right.
>>
>> It's actually both: NAs *and* duplicated keys that are mapped to
>> more than 1 row are removed from the input. I don't think this
>> is documented.
>>
>> I wonder if select() behavior couldn't be a little bit simpler by
>> either preserving or removing all duplicated keys, and not just some
>> of them (on a somewhat arbitrary criteria).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> H.
>>

>> On 07/25/2013 02:57 PM, James W. MacDonald wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Enrico and Herve,
>>>
>>> This has to do with duplicate entries, but only when the duplicate entry
>>> maps to many ENTREZID:
>>>
>>>   > select(org.Hs.eg.db, rep("ADORA2A", 4), "ENTREZID", "ALIAS")
>>>       ALIAS ENTREZID
>>> 1 ADORA2A      135
>>> 2 ADORA2A      135
>>> 3 ADORA2A      135