[BioC] RNAseq machine learning classifier

jhua at tgen.org jhua at tgen.org
Thu Jul 18 01:15:40 CEST 2013

Hi, Mike:

Thanks for the explanation.  They are really helpful.

My concern is about the size factors estimation.  I'm not familiar with the details of VST so my understanding might be wrong.

My understanding is that the VST is applied on the count normalized data, i.e., size factors must be estimated from the data.  I believe that they are also data-dependent.  So I'm wondering when one use the frozen parameters for the future data, how are the size factors being computed?  Does DESeq2 use the loggeomeans of the future data to estimate the size factor, or does it have them in the frozen parameters for reuse? Or does the choice matter to VST?

And in the case I encountered, somehow VST has little effects to the data (there might be a fitness problem to the model for our data).  So we decided that we just stick to count normalized data by counts(ads, normalized = TRUE).  Hence which loggeomeans to use does matter.  And for the future data, which is usually a small testing set, we plan to use the loggeomeans of our large training data to calculate the size factors.

Jianping