[BioC] Have troubles with finding Annotations for Bovine and Rhesus\' platforms

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Feb 18 16:19:59 CET 2013

Hi Kaj,

First some admonishment. You appear not to be trying very hard to figure
out how to do this on your own. I gave you some pretty clear
instructions that you need a file that has two columns, one with the
probe IDs and one with some other annotation ID. I then pointed you to
the vignette that shows how to create the package.

So you then went out and found a file that looks promising. It is called
the 015354 somethingsomething genelist, and that corresponds to your
array. So good for you.

But then you came back to us to see if it is OK. This is a problem, as
you will never get far with OpenSource software if you aren't willing to
figure things out on your own (especially if you have already been told
explicitly what you need to do).

Rather than telling you what to do next, let's try the Socratic approach.

1.) What data are represented in this file? Do they perhaps fulfill one
of the requirements for AnnotationForge? If you think not, why do you
think that? If you think they do, why are you asking us?

2.) If this file does contain data sufficient for building an annotation
package, what do you need to do in order to proceed from here? Have you
read the vignette? Do you not understand something?

Don't be afraid to try things. You are very unlikely to break anything,
and failing is the best way to learn. If/when you fail, try to figure
out on your own why the failure occurred. Google is your friend.

If you want to learn how to analyze data using Bioconductor you will
need to become self-reliant. People are amazingly willing to help people
who are truly struggling, and have tried their best to progress. They
are much less willing to help those who seem not to help themselves.

If you try and fail, don't be afraid to come back with questions. But be
prepared to show what you have tried, and supply the error message. Also
supply the output of sessionInfo().

Best,

Jim

--