[BioC] which genes to choose for being truly differentially expressed from a long list

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Dec 3 17:15:48 CET 2013

Hi EJ,

This is the time to revisit the original hypothesis you are testing, or
if you are trying to generate hypotheses, then what hypotheses you
would find interesting.

In general, a set of differentially expressed genes isn't particularly
compelling, especially when you start to think about Biological
relevance and measurement errors. For example, it's pretty easy to come
up with a single gene that appears to be differentially expressed, but
is in fact a false positive. And what does a single differentially
expressed gene (if a true positive) mean in the greater Biological
context of your experiment?

So univariate statistics aren't that useful IMO in this context, and
trying to reduce your set of genes to a tractable number that you can
eyeballometrically test for 'interestingness' is likely not the way to
go. In other words, taking a list of genes and scanning them to see if
you can find particular genes that you already know are implicated in
the process you are examining is not likely to be a useful exercise.

Instead, you might re-consider the rationale for doing this experiment
and see if there is something you can do to further that cause. As an
example, perhaps you are trying to find pathways that are perturbed by
some treatment. There are any number of ways to try to tease that sort
of information out; you can do GO hypergeometric tests (or KEGG tests
if you prefer). Or you could look for interesting gene sets at the
Broad, and do GSEA against those. Or maybe you want to mine the data
for interesting relationships using something like WGCNA (a google
search will get you there). Note that WGCNA is particularly useful if
you have other (preferably continuous) phenotypes.

Given that you apparently have a big signal here, I would recommend
trying to use that signal rather than chopping away at your data simply
to reduce the dimensionality.

Best,

Jim

--