[BioC] definition for intergenic SNPs in locateVariants function

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Wed Apr 3 17:33:02 CEST 2013

Hi Adai,

The intergenic SNPs are those that fall outside of the gene ranges
defined in the annotation. There is a table in the vignette that briefly
describes this.

With a txdb as the annotation, "transcripts by gene" are extracted and
findOverlaps() is performed with the variant ranges. Variants that do
not have a 'hit' are considered to fall outside gene regions. For these
variants we determine which genes fall to either side (PREDEDEID and
FOLLOWID in the output). There is no limit for upstream/downstream
searching. We simply take the next closest gene if one exists.

If you were able to define upsteam/downstream limits I'm assuming you're
interested in all genes that fell in that range, not just the next
closest gene?

Valerie