[BioC] necessity of moderated t statistic and false discoveries for small predefined gene list?

Y-h. Taguchi tag at granular.com
Thu May 17 02:34:26 CEST 2012

Dear Rich & Moshe,

I am not sure if cotinuation of this discussion here is suitable for
this ml or not, but I will comment.

Although I do not know  what Rich intends to mean by the term
"differential  expression",
I am sure that

1) t-statistics

and

2) log (Fold change)

are not enough.

try

t.test(c(1,2,3),c(4,5,6))

and

t. test(c(10,20,30),c(40,50,60))

They provide you the same t-statistics and fold change. However, these
two can have different meanings biologically, if both c(1,2,3,4,5,6)
and c(10,20,30,40,50,60) have already been normalized to some control
signal.

yours, tag.