[BioC] Building specific Ortoghonal contrasts in LIMMA

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun May 13 07:44:06 CEST 2012

Dear Miriam,

I am assuming that you already know how to create factors in R to
represent Damdiet and MR.  You need something like:

   Damdiet <- factor(Damdiet, levels=c("Ctl","SFA","EFA"))
   MR <- factor(MR, levels=c("LLA","HLA"))

   contrasts(Damdiet) <- cbind(CtlvsSFAEFA=c(-2,1,1), EFAvsSFA=c(0,-1,1))
   contrasts(MR) <- c(-1,1)

   design <- model.matrix(~Damdiet*MR)

Then the five contrasts you have specified will be coefficients 2-6 of the
fitted model (in the same order that you listed them).

Best wishes
Gordon