[BioC] Limma analyses;paired and/or factorial design?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri May 4 02:00:31 CEST 2012

Dear John,

If all the mice were the same sex, then it would be a 2x2 factorial.

Having both male and female, you have some difficult choices to make,
depending on whether the treatment or the KO can have sex-linked effects.
In the simplest case that the answer is no in both cases, then you might
make a design matrix from

    design <- model.matrix(~sex+genotype+genotype:treatment)

in order to test for treatment effects within each genotype.

In any case, designing an analysis depends on the questions you want to
answer as well as the treatments you have.

Best wishes
Gordon