[BioC] edgeR i get 377 significant genes where in DESeq i got 0

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 15 01:57:49 CET 2012

Dear Simon,

On re-reading the original post, you may well be right that Pap has no
biological replicates, in which case he or she has ignored warning
messages from both our packages, and the discussion is not very
interesting.  There's ambiguity in the post -- it does mention biological
replicates and, although there are only two files, a file may contain more
than one library.

I have been disappointed by users ignoring the warning message from edgeR
about lack of replication, so I recently changed the developmental version
of edgeR so that it returns NA dispersion when there is no replication, so
a user is now forced to think more about what they are doing and take one
of the actions outlined in the edge User's Guide.

You seem to be suggesting that edgeR has inserted a numeric dispersion
value different from zero in the case of no replication.  If that is what
you are suggesting, then you are incorrect.

My comment about the conservatism of DESeq stands, as it is our
experience.  I think that you and I have a disagreement about what
constitutes "typical data".  In my opinion, some of the datasets being
publicly presented as examples of RNA-Seq data show obvious signs that
there are missing explanatory variables such as batch effects.  Such data
will produce outlier dispersions.  You may wish to design an algorithm for
these circumstances.  My concern however is with experimental data that my
biomedical collaborators present to me, and we take pains to avoid
important uncontrolled factors or to identify and model them.

Best wishes
Gordon