[BioC] HTqPCR problems

Simon Melov smelov at buckinstitute.org
Thu Jun 28 23:11:19 CEST 2012

Hi Heidi,
getting there, hopefully if you can clarify the following issue, all will be well and good.

After yesterdays correspondence, I'm now producing nice plots, when I check the actual values being plotted, they dont match up
to the sample ID's. In fact, if I dont bother assigning groups, the sample ID's dont match to their respective gene CT values. I'm
worried there is some underlying problem with the data structure I'm not understanding.

I understand the code, its just the samples dont match the reported gene values in the csv file.

for example

> head(groupID)
  Sample Treatment
1    S28       SMY
2    L20       LFY
3    M26       MMY
4     L1       LFR
5    L30       LFY
6    K13       KMO

>plotCtOverview(raw6, genes=featureNames(raw6)[1], group=groupID$Treatment,legend=FALSE, col=1:length(unique(groupID$Treatment)))

produces a nice plot of a tubulin gene across the groups, as you suggested yesterday . Yet if I look at the values, they dont match
the CSV values for specific genes/samples I used. If I turn off groups, and look at samples without merging by group, I can see that the values dont match the appropriate gene being
displayed. My question is, where is the sample order being drawn from in the CSV file? Is there a simple check I can use to see that what is being plotted,
is what I think is being plotted? The group ID sample-Treatment is correct, and all the samples in the original CSV file are correct.

Is it possible that the package is assigning gene/sample ID in some other order than that I've supplied?
I just want to be sure that when HTqPCR pulls the sample ID and maps it to the appropriate gene/Group, some transformation is not happening.

Fluidigm suggests a particular order in loading samples and genes. These are numbered 1-48 (sample), and 1-48 (gene) for a 48.48 plate (and the same for a 96.96 plate).
This is the order I supplied the sample IDs in the groupID file above. How do you map the raw csv output to gene/sample id?

Is there a way of checking that the sample/gene/group ID is correct?

as always, thanks in advance for your help

best

On Jun 27, 2012, at 3:27 PM, Heidi Dvinge wrote:

> [...]
> clarify the plotCtOverview help file.
>
>> Just to be clear, I have 5 48.48 plates. Should I normalize each
>> individually prior to combining, or should I reformat to a 2304x1 each,
>> combine, then normalize (not sure if you can do that or not)
>>
> Hm, that's one of the questions I've also been asking myself, so I would
> be curious to hear what your results from this are.
>
> If you suspect that there are some major factors influencing the 5 plates
> systematically, then normalising them in a 2304 x 5 object should
> (hopefully) correct for that. For example, they may have been run on
> different days, by different people, or perhaps there was a short power
> cut during the processing of one of them. This might be visible if you
> have for example a boxplot of Ct from all 48*5 samples, and you see blocks
> of them shifted up or down.
>
> Obviously, this doesn't take care of normalisation between your samples
> within each plate though. If you suspect your samples to have some
> systematic variation that you need to account for, then you can normalise
> each plate individually (as a 48 x 48) object. Alternatively, you can try
> to combine within- and between-sample normalisation by taking all 48 x 240
> values at once.
>
> In principle, you can split, reformat and the recombine the data in
> however many ways you like. Personally, with any sort of data I prefer to
> go with as little preprocessing as possible, since each additional step
> can potentially introduce its own biases into the data. So unless there
> are some obvious variation between your 5 plates, I'd probably stick with
> just normalisation between the samples, e.. using a 48 x 240 object.
>
> Of course, you may have different preferences, or find out that a
> completely different approach is required for this particular data set.
>
> \Heidi
>
>> thanks again for your prompt responses!
>>
>> best

>> On Jun 27, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Heidi Dvinge wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Simon,

>>> Erm, no, it doesn't :-/

>>> I'm afraid I'm slightly confused here (sorry, long day). Exactly how is
>>> your data formatted? I.e. are the columns either individual samples, or
>>> from files containing multiple samples? So for example for a single
>>> 48.48
>>> arrays, is your qPCRset object 2304 x 1 or 48 x 48?
>>>
>>> From your readCtData command I'm guessing you have 48 x 48, i.e. all 48
>>> samples from your 1 array are in columns. In that case the 'groups'
>>> parameter in plotCtOverview will need to be a vector of length 48,
>>> indicating how you want the 48 columns in your qPCRset object to be
>>> grouped together.
>>>
>>> Below is an example of (admittedly ugly) plots. I don't know if that's
>>> similar to your situation at all.
>>>
>>> \Heidi

>>> "BioMark", n.features = 48, n.data = 48)
>>> [1] "Sample1" "Sample2" "Sample3" "Sample4" "Sample5" "Sample6"
>>> 2  Sample2     A
>>> 3  Sample3     A
>>> 4  Sample4     A
>>> 5  Sample5     B