[BioC] How do you find your orthologues?

Karl Brand k.brand at erasmusmc.nl
Tue Jun 26 12:43:05 CEST 2012

Esteemed Bioconductor UseRs and Devs,

How do you find your orthologues?

We have a variety of data (proteomic, expression) from a variety of
species (mouse, rat, pig, human) with lots of primary identifiers
(GI-number, ensembl gene ID, gene-symbol). What we need to do is take
such an identifier, say a mouse ensembl gene ID, and have a list of
identifers for the mapped orthologue (to say rat and pig) returned. It
seems compara will do this, via a Perl API

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/compara/index.html

Can it also be accessed via R/BioConductor? WHich package? BiomaRt? Or
is there another BioConductor package employed for this task i should be
looking at?

With thanks in advance for tips and reflections before i spend another
day hunting for a package to achieve this,

Karl

--
Karl Brand
Dept of Cardiology and Dept of Bioinformatics