[BioC] Annotation Database for Agilent 8x60K Human Gene Expression Arrays

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Jun 19 20:58:15 CEST 2012

Hi Karthik,

The 8x60 arrays have a different design ID so out of caution, I would
not recommend that you use that package for this.  Even if all the IDs
from the other design id are present here (and that is a big if), you
may still in certain circumstances end up thinking that you tried to
measure a bunch of things that you did not try to measure.  The design
ID was put into the name to try and avoid this confusion and to warn you
about possible inconsistencies.

Here is the page from Agilents website that gives the design IDs for the
platforms in question along with links to their eArray web application
that allows access to the files which they supply probe mappings for.

http://www.genomics.agilent.com/CollectionSubpage.aspx?PageType=Product&SubPageType=ProductData&PageID=1516

 From that eArray link you should be able to just download the file (one
for the 8x60 arrays) and then just follow the directions from the
SQLForge vignette from the AnnotationDbi package to make an annotation
package for the 8x60 arrays.  It's pretty easy to make an annotation
package.  The tricky part is usually getting the mapping information
from the manufacturers, but it sounds like you have already done that part.

Here is where you can find that SQLForge vignette:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.10/bioc/vignettes/AnnotationDbi/inst/doc/SQLForge.pdf

For more information about the Agi4x44PreProcess you should look at the
vignette for that package here:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.10/bioc/vignettes/Agi4x44PreProcess/inst/doc/Agi4x44PreProcess.pdf

The vignette certainly makes it seem like you can use this package with
other Agilent annotations, but you might want to ask Pedro about exactly
how accommodating his design is intended to be.

Hope this helps,

   Marc