[BioC] About Rsubread

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 15 02:09:48 CEST 2012

Dear Lucia,

For your version 2 of alignment, align() function firstly used mapping quality scores to break ties if more than 1 best locations were found for a read. If one of the mapping locations was found to have a higher mapping score than others, that location will be selected and reported for that read. However, this read will be reported as a unmapped read in your version 3 of alignment, because it was mapped to multiple locations and the '-unique=TRUE' option instructed align() to not report it. So 'tieBreakQS=TRUE' changed a multi-mapping read to a unique-mapping read. This is why you got more mapped reads in (2) than (3).  I would recommend setting 'tieBreakQS=TRUE" if you are worried about the multi-mapping reads.

For you second question, you are right in that the set of mapped reads reported in version 2 should be subset of mapped reads reported in version 1. However, the mapping locations could be different for the same read if it was mapped to more than 1 locations. For version 1, the mapping location for such a read was randomly chosen. However, the location with best mapping quality score was chosen in version 2. If the mapping locations of such reads reported by version 2 fell within the gene region in your annotation but their locations reported by version 1 did not,  these reads will counted in read summarization 2 but not counted in summarization 1.

So the align() and featureCounts() function did what they are supposed to do for your different versions of running.

Let me know if this is unclear to you.

Cheers,
Wei