[BioC] Limma-include interaction term

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Jun 12 18:21:24 CEST 2012

Hi Jack,

On 6/12/2012 10:10 AM, Yao Chen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I try to find differential expressed genes between treat and untreated
> samples, and also I want to include the age effects.
>
> The design matrix is like this:
>
> treat  untreated  age
>    1        0            30
>    0         1           40
>    1        0            35
>

> The "treat" is factor, but "age" is continuous.  How can I set the
>   "cont.matrix"?

Pretty much just like you (or at least I) would expect:

contrast <- makeContrasts(treat - untreat, levels =  design)

But note that the design you are specifying allows different intercepts,
but the slope is assumed to be the same for treated and untreated. If
you want to allow different slopes as well, you need to introduce an
age:treatment interaction term. Here I am assuming you have more than
three samples.

Best,

Jim