[BioC] gcrma problem while processing HuGene-1_0-st-v1 genechip from Affymetrix

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Mon Jun 11 17:18:47 CEST 2012

Hi Suparna,

On 6/11/2012 11:00 AM, suparna mitra wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am very new to biocondunctor and microaray. I have limited experience
> with R.
> I am trying to use biocondunctor for analyzing HuGene-1_0-st-v1 microarray
> data. I selectected different normalization method (rma, gcrma and mas5).
> For my data rma worked but for for gcrma and mas5 both I have problem.

This is to be expected. The HuGene array is a PM-only design, so mas5()
won't work (because the mas5 algorithm requires subtracting MM from PM,
and there are no MM probes). In addition, the default for gcrma() is to
estimate the background for probes based on the GC content, using bins
of MM probes. Again, without any MM probes, this won't work.

Note however that gcrma() has an 'NCprobe' argument that you can use to
specify an index of negative control probes. This is a non-trivial thing
to do, and may be beyond your abilities if you are very new to R and BioC.

To get the index of these probes, you will need to decide which probes
are negative control probes, and then you can use the indexProbes()
function, passing a character vector of the negative control probes to
the genenames argument. This will return a list of indices for each
probeset that you can unlist() prior to feeding in to gcrma().

Or you could just stick with rma(), like the vast majority of people do.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald, M.S.