[BioC] voom() vs. RPKM/FPKM or otherwise normalized counts, and GC correction, when fitting models to a small number of responses (per-feature counts)

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 05:24:49 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Tim Triche, Jr. <tim.triche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dr. Smyth,
>
>  Thank you for the helpful clarifications.  It seems like RPM/CPM is
> useful for tasks such as plotting expression on a reasonably similar scale;
> taking logs and adjusting for mean-variance relationships can better
> satisfy expected mean-variance relationships for linear modeling and thus
> should dovetail better with the toolset in limma, offering a less
> computationally demanding alternative for exploratory analysis.  On the
> other hand, if the primary goal is to  detect differences, especially in
> rare or highly variably expressed features, an edgeR GLM with empirical
> Bayes estimates of the feature-wise dispersion is the most appropriate tool
> to maximize statistical power.
>
>  Is this understanding reasonable?  It would seem that, whether I use
> limma or rig up some sort of weighting for (e.g.) sparsenet, the output
> from voom() is most likely to be useful for my particular (EDA) needs at
> the moment.
>
>  One last question (for anyone who wishes to answer, really) -- if
> gene/transcript length is not associated with the mean/variance
> relationship for read counts, why was it asserted in the original Mortazavi
> paper that:
>
> The sensitivity of RNA-Seq will be a function of both molar concentration
> and transcript length [nb: no citation given, presumably this is felt to be
> self-evident?]. We therefore quantified transcript levels in reads per
> kilobase of exon model per million mapped reads.
>
> It seems as if this is a red herring?  GC% could clearly affect the degree
> to which a transcript "absorbs" read depth, but I continue to have
> difficulty understanding why the length of exon model is relevant in this
> context.

While the Mortazavi paper is a very good paper on RNA-seq, this
section is not their best.

Because RNA is fragmented, there will be a relationship between read
counts (number of reads mapped to a gene model) and gene length.  This
is indisputable.   The question is whether this is something we want
to include in our model, beyond the fact that longer genes have more
counts and therefore a bigger mean (and since higher mean leads to
lower variance, this is probably what Mortazavi meant here),

RPKM tries to make an expression measure that is comparable between
genes inside a single sample.  This is for example necessary for
making the "titration" curve in the Mortazavi paper showing a nice
relationship between actual concentration and RPKM, since each of the
points on the curve is a different gene.  Note that that plot has
nothing to do with differential expression, but rather absolute
quantification.

In a typical gene expression analysis we are
(1) not interested in comparing genes, only samples within a fixed gene.
(2) interested in relative changes, not absolute meaurements

This is really not something Mortazavi discusses.

EdgeR and DEseq tries to get at differential expression.  And they
essentially use the fact that there is a mean-variance relationship to
improve their modeling.  Now, it is clear (I would argue) that mean
does not in any way perfectly predict variability, so it entirely
possible that a better method may come along and improve on what we
have.  But such a method would first have to prove itself.

Now, as I said above, gene length affects read counts through
fragmentation.  In case fragmentation varies between samples, there
may be a problem.  Same with GC content.  We recently showed [1] that
GC content, and to a lesser extent gene length, can have a sample
specific effect.  If that is the case, you need to account for that.
But that is because the effect is sample specific.

1. Removing technical variability in RNA-seq data using conditional
quantile normalization. Biostatistics 13, 204–216 (2012).

Kasper