[BioC] EasyRNASeq issue (missing bai files)

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Wed Jul 18 17:49:24 CEST 2012

Dear Jorge,

I've Cc'ed the Bioc mailing list as it can be of help to others.

You're missing the index (.bam.bai) files for your bam files; i.e. you need to run 'samtools index TTGR1.bam' on the command line in your /Users/jbeira/Desktop/bams directory to create the TTGR1.bam.bai file.

You may as well want to use the indexBam function of the Rsamtools package. This package is required by easyRNASeq, so the following would index all your bam files in your bams directory:

library(easyRNASeq)

setwd("/Users/jbeira/Desktop/bams")

indexBam(files=dir(".",pattern="*\\.bam$"))

Note that it is important for your bam files to be sorted first (check the samtools webpage for more info: http://samtools.sourceforge.net/)

In your easyRNASeq call, you're missing the "conditions" argument that describes your samples (e.g. tumor, control). This is necessary if you want to produce a DESeq output. The conditions should be a named vector, the names being the actual filenames: e.g. in your case conditions=c("TTGR1.bam"="tumor"). Asking for a DESeq output with a single sample is not going to work, but I suppose you've got more than one sample :-); you can provide all of them at once in the filenames argument or use the pattern argument instead (as in the indexBam for example).

Finally, if you are using easyRNASeq version 1.3.8 (the development version), you do not need to precise the chr.sizes argument, provided your bam files have an header (which they most probably have). The readLength would as well be determined from your data, but it does not harm providing it. Moreover, if the computer you're running on as enough memory and CPUs, you can process the input file in parallel using the nbCore argument (as of easyRNASeq version 1.3.8). The memory usage is roughly the size of the BAM files, i.e. if you have 12GB RAM, you could proceed 4 x 3GB bam files in parallel (in an ideal world, in practice I would go for 3 just in case)

Cheers,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

Genome Biology Computational Support