[BioC] Testing for differential expression variability with edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Feb 23 01:19:15 CET 2012

Dear Miguel,

Well, you could obviously subset your data, and compute the tagwise
dispersions separately for each subset, and compare the two.  Do a formal
test requires a more work, and would be genewise anyway.

I find it hard to imagine in what context it would make sense to test
whether two libraries (R4.Hot and R5.Hot) are more different than two
other libraries.  For a particular gene?  Averaged over genes?

Could you not just make an MDS plot and look to see how far apart the
samples are from each other?

What are you trying to achieve here from a biological point of view?  What
biological question are you trying to answer?

Best wishes
Gordon