[BioC] gplots Heatmap

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Tue Feb 14 17:15:30 CET 2012

Dear Sumanth,

besides Steve's suggestion (*), you could also have a look at the
'ColSideColors', 'RowSideColors' arguments of 'heatmap.2'. That might
even be easier to read than colored text. An example for that is in
Fig.1 here:
http://www-huber.embl.de/arrayQualityMetrics/Report_for_nCCl4_with_RIN/

On a more advanced note..: also have a look at the example (manual page)
of the 'dendrogramGrob' function in the 'latticeExtra' package, this
provides some elements out of which you can construct your own
heatmap-like displays.

(*) Besides copying, editing and sourcing a function's source code, you
can also edit the function object itself, e.g. the function "trace"
offers an interface to inject your own lines into "someone else's"
function programmatically. This is probably not all that relevant for
your immediate problem, but may be useful for some (e.g. if you want to
modify the other function, rather than create a copy with a different
name and/or in a different name space.)

Hope this helps
	Wolfgang

Feb/11/12 12:19 AM, Polikepahad, Sumanth scripsit::
> Hi,
>
> I have analyzed my deep sequencing data with DESeq and successfully
> generated a heatmap showing differentially expressed miRNAs by using
> gplots heatmap.2. However, I want to put different colors to the
> fonts of miRNA names that are shown on y-axis, depending on whether
> they are up or down regulated.  For example, I want to show the names
> of all down-regulated miRNAs in blue and up-regulated in Red. How do
> I do this? I guess I must use if else statement, but not sure if its
> the right way to do it. I am very new to R and I really appreciate
> any help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Best wishes
	Wolfgang