[BioC] Important: Help with eBayes in AgiMicrRna and on how to find differentially expressed genes

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Feb 6 15:24:12 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Karthik K N <karthikuttan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sean,
>
> Thank you for your reply. At this time, I am left with no choice but to
> deal with the data as-is. I realize that it is hard to work without
> replicates, but is there any way to make maximum meaningful info from this
> limited data set that I have? Some other tools/algorithms/packages/tests?
>
> Also, what does the contents of ProcessedData.txt file exported from
> AgiMicroRna mean? As far as I know, they are the Total Gene Signals of all
> those miRNAs that pass the filtering step. Isn't it? So, what downstream
> tests can I do using it as an input file? As mentioned in my previous post,
> I am interested in finding out the differentially expressed genes between
> my control and treated samples.

Hi, Karthik.

I'd suggest making a ratio of the treatment versus control.  Those
probes that show a large fold change are the candidates showing
differential expression.  The cutoff for fold-change will be
experiment-specific, so you'll have to look at your data.

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for the inability to
generate replicates?  If cost is an issue, It is important to realize
that NOT generating replicates can be more costly than actually
generating them, depending on what your followup for candidate
differentially expressed genes will be.

Sean