[BioC] package to count read prior to DESeq?

Abhishek Pratap apratap at lbl.gov
Fri Feb 3 21:13:15 CET 2012

Hi Nico

Thanks for a quick and detailed reply. I am a tiny bit confused, may
be my question was not clear. Here is how I understand it. Please
correct me if I got it wrong.

What I would like to do is study differential gene expression at both
gene and transcript level.  As an input what I have is transcriptome
model in a gtf file and mapped bam files(unique hits only: I have
removed reads mapping to multiple positions in the genome). The gtf
file lists all the possible transcripts/exons for a gene.

What I need to get from this file two types of counts.
        1)  counts of reads that fall in each gene bin (strand specific)
        2)  count of reads that fall in each transcript (again strand sp)

What I am not sure is the counting method of easyRNASeq. Given an
annotation of gene with 2 transcripts (A, B) how does it do the
counting. If it is counting at gene level then at some point in the
calculation it should be merging the exons from transcripts A and B to
gene level.  And if it is counting at transcript level then we should
get two counts one for each transcript. I understand in the latter
case there will be double counting due to overlapping exons between
the transcripts.

It will help a lot if you could clear this.

PS: I also did try to use htseq-count for doing the same but the
counts I got dont quite match the avg number of reads we expect to see
/ gene or transcript. I guess I should start another thread on this
with Simon. May be I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!
-Abhi