[BioC] FW: GenomicFeatures::makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart - Error in callSuper(...) : could not find function "initRefFields"

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers.org
Fri Feb 3 16:43:38 CET 2012

Hi Marc,

> I cannot say why your older annotation database is not working, but I
> suspect that it is just out of phase with recent changes introduced when
> you updated the code.  But the error you reported from when you tried to
> generate a new TxDb package is an unhappy message indeed.  It means that
> the data for cds ranges and total cds length (both from biomaRt) no
> longer agree with each other.  In other words, the data from the current
> drosophila ranges in biomaRt seems to disagree with itself, and so the
> code is refusing to make a package out of this data as a result.
>
> So to try and get the 1st issue fixed I need more information.  I
> suspect that what has happened to your old DB is that is is missing some
> metadata that is required by the newer versions of GenomicFeatures.  Is
> there a place where you could put your DB so that I could DL it and have
> a look at it?

Sure - great - thanks - here it is:

	ftp://ftp.stowers-institute.org/pub/MEC/dmelanogaster_gene_ensembl.sqlite

> To get the 2nd issue fixed probably involves talking to ensembl about
> their CDS data for fly to see if we can resolve the discrepancy.

I would be happy to take this to them.

Can you recommend a best way to get a more diagnostic trace from the attempt at txdb creation so we can correctly report to ensembl team the errant transcript(s) ?

Finally, do you have any information on the progress of adding a 'host' option to makeTranscriptDbFromBiomart ?
If I install Bioc-dev should I expect to find this implemented?
And if I do, will a txdb so-created be backward compatible with current released GenomicFeatures (i.e. should I be able to load it)?

Thanks so much for you help,

Cheers,

Malcolm