[BioC] converting intensity values to log ratios?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Feb 1 14:59:52 CET 2012

Hi Mark,

On 1/31/2012 4:16 PM, Mark Baumeister wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to convert RMA normalized intensity values in my matrix
> (generated from Affymetirx raw .CEL data composed of
> ~30 tumor samples and 7 normal samples) to log ratios in which the
> intensity values from each tumor sample are compared with a reference
> sample (in this case I chose one of my normals).  I was told that I could
> use a function like
>
>> log(eset/esetRef,2)
> to generate the new matrix containing log ratios.

Wow. That was some horrible advice. Please stop relying on whoever told
you that.

First, please note that RMA normalized intensity values are already on
the log_2 scale. So taking logs again isn't necessary, nor advisable.

Second, why are you converting to log ratios? You are losing information
for no apparent gain. Your best bet is to simply make comparisons
between groups using something like limma or siggenes or multtest and
proceed from there. Also note that the numerator of your statistic
(which limma returns by default with the topTable() function) is the log
ratio that you are seeking, so you get that for free.

Best,

Jim

> I have reduced my data using a general filter to remove low signal and low
> variance:
>
>> dim(esetSubNat)
> [1] 1470   36
>> dim(esetSubRef)
> [1] 1470    1
>
> When I try this log function I get the following error:
>
>> esetSubLog<- log(esetSubNat/esetSubRef,2)
> Error in esetSubNat/esetSubRef : non-conformable arrays
> Can anyone give me any idea where I am going wrong or how else I might try
> to generate the log ratios?
>
> Thank you,
> Mark
>

> http://sites.google.com/site/lfmmab/