[BioC] computing segment areas on an image after thresholding

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Aug 4 00:25:02 CEST 2012

Dear Ravi

Aug/3/12 10:16 PM, ravi scripsit::
> Hi Henrik, Thanks a lot for your reply. Your code works like a charm.
> I would like to follow up with the following questions : 1. You say
> that I should choose the image[,,1]. That's fine. I would like to
> know more about the structure of the image data. What does each of
> image[,,i] for i=1 ..4 consist of?

This is a series of 4 images of DAPI-stained nuclei, taken from
different regions of a single well in a 384-well plate. In general, the
third dimension of an "Image" object is intended to be used for such
additional dimensions (beyond x, y), which can be e.g.:
   - z-axis
   - time
   - different experimental factors
or a combination of all of these. From the help page of "Image":
The 'colormode' slot could be either 'Grayscale' or 'Color'. In
both modes, the two first dimensions of the underlying array are
understood to be the spatial dimensions of the image. In the
'Grayscale' mode, the remaining dimensions contain other images.
In the the 'Color' mode, the third dimension contains the red,
green and blue channels of the image and the remaining dimensions
contain other images.

> 2. How can I get a histogram of the intensity values in the image.
> Something equivalent to imhist in matlab. Thanks, Ravi

hist(img[,,1])

Hope this helps,
	Wolfgang