[BioC] package xps

Steven steven.wink at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:55:03 CEST 2012

2012/8/3 Steven <steven.wink at gmail.com>:
> Hi Dan,
>

> 2012/8/3 Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fhcrc.org>:
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Steven <steven.wink at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am having trouble getting package xps to work, and would really
>>> appreciate any help I can get.
>>>
>>> I have succesfully installed root_v5.34.01 on my ubuntu 12.04 OS
>>> as described on in the xps package readme file I added ROOTSYS to PATH
>>> and LD_LIBRARY_PATH by entering these lines in the terminal:
>>> export ROOTSYS=~/ROOT/root  (I make a folder ROOT in which I unpacked root.)
>>
>> Did you just unpack the source tarball of root into /ROOT, or did you
>> install root there?
>>
> I also installed with ./configure linuxx8664gcc
> make
>
> I can run root by typing root.
>

>>>               export PATH=$ROOTSYS/bin:$PATH
>>>               export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ROOTSYS/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>>
>>>  I also added above 2 lines in .bashrc
>>>

>> Did you source the .bashrc after adding these lines?
>> What happens if you type
>> echo $ROOTSYS
>> at the command line?
>>

> I also sourced it.
> by typing  echo $ROOTSYS I get:
> winks at ubuntu:~/ROOT/root$
>

>> To make sure root is properly installed, what happens if you do this:
>>
>> $ROOTSYS/bin/root --help
>> You should see a usage message describing the various options for root.
>>
> Indeed I do, this is the output:
> winks at ubuntu:~/ROOT/root$ $ROOTSYS/bin/root --help
> Usage: /home/winks/ROOT/root/bin/root [-l] [-b] [-n] [-q] [dir]
> [[file:]data.root] [file1.C ... fileN.C]
>   -b : run in batch mode without graphics
>   -n : do not execute logon and logoff macros as specified in .rootrc
>   -q : exit after processing command line macro files
>   -l : do not show splash screen
>   -x : exit on exception
>  dir : if dir is a valid directory cd to it before executing
>
>   -?       : print usage
>   -h       : print usage
>   --help   : print usage
>   -config  : print ./configure options
>   -memstat : run with memory usage monitoring
>

>>> root seems to run fine.
>>>
>>> next, I download xps_1.16.0.tar.gz and run:
>>> sudo R CMD INSTALL xps_1.16.0.tar.gz
>>
>> Why are you using sudo here?
> I normally get acces problems when installing packages in R when I
> don't initiate R with sudo rights. I didn't try R CMD INSTALL
> xps_1.16.0.tar.gz without sudo.
I just tried without SUDO rights, and this is the output:
winks at ubuntu:~/ROOT/root$ R CMD INSTALL xps_1.16.0.tar.gz
* installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
Error: ERROR: no permission to install to directory
‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’

ps: I also tried installing the recommended way with biocLite -I get
the same ROOTSYS shell variable problem