[BioC] DEXSeq: problem with dexseq_prepare_annotation.py

Alejandro Reyes alejandro.reyes at embl.de
Wed Apr 18 09:30:02 CEST 2012

Dear Stephen,

The problem is that the exon is finishing (148078883) before it starts
(148079388).
Usually the gtf files contain the "left most" position as start position
independently of the strand, also the UCSC annotations but with a few
exceptions as the one you mentioned.  The reason of the script complain
is that these gtf parsers in HTSeq were written and tested for ENSEMBL
annotation files, where these kind of "errors" are basically absent.
Assuming that these are simple mistakes in the gtf files, it is easy to
solve them just by flipping the positions of the start and ends when
start > end, or maybe by deleting this genes from the gtf files.
Anyway, these cases are really rare, like ~15 in the human UCSC genome.

Alejandro