[BioC] GoStats and microRNA pipeline using Biomart

James F. Reid james.reid at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Thu Mar 31 10:10:28 CEST 2011

Hi David,

On 03/30/2011 08:31 PM, David martin wrote:
 > Yes absolutly. A few ensembl releases ago UTR tend to be smaller but
 > this is getting better now. How would you normalize that based on
length ?

I'm afraid that I don't have a simple answer to this it would need
thinking out especially wrt to your GO enrichment analysis.
Any ideas from the members of the list?

Best,
J.

> On 03/30/2011 07:00 PM, James F. Reid wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I understand your reasoning for counting the number of miRNA binding
>> sites with the 3' UTR of a predicted target, you are trying to include
>> the 'combinatorial' effect of miRNA targeting.
>> I would try to include the length of any UTR however (some kind of
>> normalization if you wish) since the longer the UTR the more chances are
>> that miRNA will bind.
>> Does this make sense?
>>
>> Best,
>> J.

>>> That's correct. The idea behind that is that a transcript targeted at
>>> different locations is more "likely to be twice targeted" and therefore
>>> GO term associated to this transcript have to be replicated. This sound
>>> good to me but i don not expect that you agree on that.
>>>

>>> i have managed to get all GO ids with a small function. Basically you
>>> input one transcript id in a loop
>>>
>>> l = length(genes) # list of all ensembl transcripts
>>> for (l in 1:l)
>>> {
>>> goid[l] <- getgoids("ENST...")
>>>
>>> }
>>> getgoids <- function (id) {
>>> getBM(attributes=c(
>>> 'go_biological_process_id',
>>> 'go_biological_process_linkage_type',
>>> 'go_cellular_component_id',
>>> 'go_cellular_component_linkage_type',
>>> 'go_molecular_function_id',
>>> 'go_molecular_function_linkage_type')
>>> ,filters="ensembl_transcript_id", values=id, mart=mart)
>>> }
>>>
>>> I agree wioth you that i might need to add the transcript_id to be able
>>> to use for GoStats mapping between transcripts and GO ids.
>>>

>>> Now i want to use that as the univere set for GoStats and do hyperG to
>>> compare with the GO for a specific microRNA.
>>>
>>> I guess :
>>>
>>> goframeData = data.frame(frame$go_id, frame$Evidence, frame$gene_id)
>>> #list of all GOids from all transcripts targeted by all microRNA
>>>
>>> goFrame = GOFrame(goframeData, organism = "Homo sapiens")
>>> goAllFrame = GOAllFrame(goFrame) #Geneid to ALL go id mapping
>>>

>>> In the GSEAGOHyperGParams function below can you correct me ?
>>> geneSetCollection = List of all go ids off all transcripts targetted by
>>> all microRNA
>>> single_mir_transcript_ids = list of ENSEMBl transcripts ids targeted by
>>> a specific microRNA
>>> univerGeneIds: list of transcript to Go mapping
>>> Is this correc t?
>>>

>>> gsc <- GeneSetCollection(goAllFrame, setType = GOCollection())
>>> params <- GSEAGOHyperGParams(name = "My Custom GSEA based annot
>>> Params",geneSetCollection = gsc, geneIds = single_mir_transcripts_ids,
>>> universeGeneIds = universe,ontology = "BP", pvalueCutoff = 0.05,