[BioC] R: Probe-level analysis of exon arrays using xps

Lavorgna Giovanni lavorgna.giovanni at hsr.it
Thu Aug 18 23:48:45 CEST 2011

Dear Cristian,
many thanks for your prompt answer. In my case, once I have the probe intensities, I would like to do the following two preliminary steps:
a) Remove probes that hybridize to multiple loci in the genome.
b) Remove probes that show a correlation coefficient below a certain threshold.
Then, I would like to calculate the differential expression in diseased vs. healthy samples for a few transcripts of mine by averaging the ratio of the probe intensities. I hope that the increased granularity and the reduced background of this method can give a better resolution to my analysis. As I said before, similar probe selection methods have been already described (see for example Xing Y, Kapur K, Wong WH. PLoS ONE. 2006 20;1:e88) and applied to genome wide studies.

In my case, after step a), I would like simply to dump the probes to a text file, select those of my interest and read them into to a spreadsheet in order to calculate the correlation coefficient and the fold-change of my transcripts. You already started to sketch the beginning of pipeline I should use: if I am not asking for too much, I would be grateful if you could elaborate it a little more to include also these final two steps.
Thanks again for your assistance and keep up the good work.
Giovanni