[BioC] Missing values - metaArray, GeneMeta, RankProd, metahdep

John Stevens john.r.stevens at usu.edu
Wed Aug 10 23:48:00 CEST 2011

Hi Maciej,

My metahdep package doesn't require all datasets to come from the same array version -- so while the package's tutorial vignette doesn't explicitly say anything about missing values, the example there does allow for missing values in this sense (some genes not represented in all datasets).

As to your second question, if you're combining studies with fundamentally different platforms (Affy for some, two-color for others, for example), you'll need to be careful to define an effect size (or some measure of differential expression) that means the same thing on all platforms, and for which you can calculate a meaningful standard error.  I think trans-platform cases like this lead to the appeal of alternative scale methods such as those in the metaArray package (which uses the 'probability of expression' or POE scale).

Regards,

John Stevens