[BioC] Plot signal distribution in miRNA arrays

Davis, Wade davisjwa at health.missouri.edu
Thu Aug 4 19:05:38 CEST 2011

Hi Andrea,
You are right about the robustness of the t-test.

You had asked about the distribution across microRNAs on each array, but based on your questions, I think you should be asking about the distribution across arrays of each microRNA. There is a big difference in those distributions, as you can imagine. Plotting and examining each one of those microRNAs would be tedious. If your sample size is "large" (large is subjective, but I recall some paper with simulations showing good robustness with n>15 for unimodal data), then you can appeal to the central limit theorem that the distribution of the sample mean is approx normally distributed, regardless of parent distribution. If the sample size is small (n<5), making any reliable conclusion about the distribution based on KS test or plots is very unreliable in my opinion. A brief Google search turned up a paper (http://www.ukm.my/jsm/pdf_files/SM-PDF-40-6-2011/15%20NorAishah.pdf) which has a nice little simulation study on the power of normality tests for the 4 most common tests. At the smallest sample size they reported (n=39), the BEST power was 28%, where the alternative was from a chi-square w/3 df....

Wade