[BioC] limma and minimum fold change

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sun Nov 14 18:43:17 CET 2010

Hi Eva

in the ordinary t-test, the t-statistic is proportional to the ratio of
fold change 'fc' and estimated within-group standard deviation 's'; and
the p-value depends on that through a monotonous transformation, ie.
setting a p-value cutoff is equivalent to setting a cutoff on |t|.
s_gene is simply, for each gene separately, the empirical standard
deviation.

With limma/eBayes, you replace s by a cleverly calibrated compromise
s_limma between s_gene and an overall pooled s_tot (across all genes).
With a small number of replicates, that compromise is close to s_tot;
with many replicates, close to s_gene; and somewhere inbetween in
intermediate cases. Now, if (eBayes decides that) you have few
replicates, then s_gene ~ s_tot is always the same for all genes, and
your p-value cutoff is directly equivalent to a cutoff on fc. This, it
appears, is what you see.

Have a look, in your 'eb' object, at the slots 'df.prior' and
'df.residual'. The manual page of eBayes says: "s2.post is the weighted
average of s2.prior and sigma^2 with weights proportional to df.prior
and df.residual respectively."

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang