[BioC] Limma: How to analyze 1- and 2- colour Agilent

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Nov 13 23:01:09 CET 2010

Dear Edwin,

Your instinct is right I think.  First normalizeWithinArrays on the two
colour arrays.  Then convert the MAList to a single channel EList (first
RG.MA then rbind the red and green matrices).  Then rbind the 1- and 2-
colour experiments.  Then quantile normalization.  Then setup a blocking
variable that indexes the array that each column of data came from.  In
this blocking variable, the index of each two colour array will appear
twice, and each one colour array will appear once.  Then run
duplicateCorrelation on your data with this blocking variable.  Then run
lmFit with the blocking variable and the consensus correlation.  This
approach allows all your data to be analysed, but keeps track of which red
and green channels were originally paired.

I gave similar advice to another group some years back, see

Missing channels in two-colour microarray experiments: combining
single-channel and two-channel data.
Lynch AG, Neal DE, Kelly JD, Burtt GJ, Thorne NP.
BMC Bioinformatics. 2007 Jan 25;8:26.

The above approach using duplicateCorrelation() requires no special
programming, but has the same effect.

Best wishes
Gordon