[BioC] Rsamtools Error: vector of negative length

Christoph Bartenhagen Christoph.Bartenhagen at ukmuenster.de
Tue Nov 9 15:52:58 CET 2010

Hi again,

thank you very much for your reply. It sounds very reasonable to me and
it explains why it works with smaller BAM-files, i.e. files containing
fewer reads.
To track down the error, here's my sessionInfo() some more info about my
error (I am not sure though how to generate a (small) reproducible
example, since the problem seems to be related to quite large alignment
files):

 > bam = scanBam(file="alignment.bam")
Error in .Call(func, file, index, "rb", NULL, flag, simpleCigar, ...) :
   negative length vectors are not allowed

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
[1] C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] Rsamtools_1.2.0     Biostrings_2.18.0   GenomicRanges_1.2.0
[4] IRanges_1.8.0

[1] Biobase_2.10.0

My BAM-file contains 69.654.881 reads of length 36bp each.
If this problem has already been adressed, do I need to update my
version of Rsamtools (1.2.0)? I just saw that the release version is
1.2.1 and the development version is 1.3.4.

Thanks for any further advice,
Christoph