[BioC] SVGAnnotation

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Nov 5 20:29:28 CET 2010

On 05.11.2010 20:25, Hervé Pagès wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> On 11/05/2010 06:04 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the binary of SVGAnnotation in
>> BioC/packages/2.7/extra/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/SVGAnnotation_0.6-0.zip
>>
>> is declared to be built under R-2.10.x (rather than R-2.12.x)
>
> Thanks for telling us!
>
> We host a few Omegahat packages in our extra repo and we try to
> host the latest versions. This SVGAnnotation Windows binary is
> the latest version currently available at Omegahat.
>
> Unfortunately Omegahat binary packages are often lagging behind
> the source packages (when they are available at all). For example,
> for the current release, there is only 1 Windows binary at the
> moment (out of 84 source packages):
>
> http://www.omegahat.org/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/PACKAGES
>
> In the case of SVGAnnotation and XMLSchema (the Windows binary
> of XMLSchema that we host is also outdated), they don't contain
> native code so I should be able to produce updated binaries without
> too many problems.

I see.

A recent XMLSchema binary is on CRAN extras:
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/

>> which causes update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE) to reinstall it again and
>> again under Windows.
>
> It sounds like update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE) could do a better job.
> Generally speaking why would an "update tool" replace something by
> something that is identical?

Well, since update.packages assumes that packages in ./2.12/ have been
built with R-2.12.x which is not that unreasonable. ;-)
If it is expected to do a better job, we'd need to add the build stamp
into the PACKAGES database.

Best wishes,
Uwe