[BioC] gage package Re: gene set enrichment analysis with missing values

Luo Weijun luo_weijun at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 15:36:16 CET 2010

Hi Heyi
Before gene set differential expression tests, we calculate differential expression statistics (fold change or signal-to-noise ratio etc) for each gene. While other methods do group-on-group comparison (compare the whole experiment sample group vs the whole control group) in this step, hence missing value in any sample(s) may affect the calculation of per gene differential expression statistics. GAGE compares one experimental sample to one control sample at a time. Hence any missing expression value will produce NA fold change in that particular pair-wise comparison only but does not affect fold changes in other pair-wise comparisons. Meanwhile, for any particular pair-wise comparison, the produced NA fold change will be omitted in the gene set test hence will usually make little difference as long as we have enough effective genes in a gene set. Hope that helps.
Weijun