[BioC] biomaRt

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jul 13 21:05:03 CEST 2010

And to expand on this a bit further, you don't have to use the default
biomart server. For instance, if biomart.org is down, you could
presumably use the biomart server that Ensembl has set up.

As I am in the US, my local ensembl server is uswest.ensembl.org, so

 > listMarts(host="uswest.ensembl.org", path="/biomart/martservice")
                biomart                        version
1 ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL               Ensembl Genes 58
2     ENSEMBL_MART_SNP           Ensembl Variation 58
3 ENSEMBL_MART_FUNCGEN Ensembl Functional Genomics 58
4    ENSEMBL_MART_VEGA                        Vega 38
5             REACTOME                       Reactome
6          wormbase195         WormBase 195 (CSHL US)
7                pride                 PRIDE (EBI UK)

 > mart <- useMart("ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL", "hsapiens_gene_ensembl",
host="uswest.ensembl.org", path="/biomart/martservice")
Checking attributes ... ok
Checking filters ... ok>

Note that the ensembl server is a bit more schizophrenic than the
biomart server, so if you get an error like this, then you may need to
try again:

 > mart <- useMart("ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL", "hsapiens_gene_ensembl",
host="uswest.ensembl.org", path="/biomart/martservice")
Checking attributes ...Error in bmAttrFilt("attributes", mart) :
   biomaRt error: looks like we're connecting to incompatible version of
BioMart suite.

I got this error directly after a successful connection, so there you go.

 > getBM(c("affy_hg_u133_plus_2", "entrezgene"), "affy_hg_u133_plus_2",
"1007_s_at",mart)
   affy_hg_u133_plus_2 entrezgene
1           1007_s_at        780
2           1007_s_at         NA