[BioC] QA of two-color array data

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Wed Oct 28 10:31:01 CET 2009

thanks Naomi, i guess this is embarrasingly obvious :-} i've made the
plot without the Agilent control spots and the two clusters with low
M-values have dissappear from these plots:

http://functionalgenomics.upf.edu/QA/MA-plotsNoCtrls1.png
http://functionalgenomics.upf.edu/QA/MA-plotsNoCtrls2.png

and now stand out even more clearly the intensity dependent biases for
some of the arrays. i find them a bit weird in the sense that it is not
a bias affecting the bulk of the probes with low intensities but a
subset of them. i've googled about this but found only success stories
about removing such bias after background correction and normalization.

if i look to the MA-plots for the raw data (from the 'RG' object)
excluding control spots:

http://functionalgenomics.upf.edu/QA/MA-plotsRawNoCtrls1.png
http://functionalgenomics.upf.edu/QA/MA-plotsRawNoCtrls2.png

i see the bias affecting the bulk of probes with low intensities for
those problematic cases, so i guess the problem might be that i'm not
using appropriate background correction and/or normalization algorithms.

as shown in my previous email i'm currently using 'normexp' with
'mle' (which if i correctly interpret a recent post from Gordon, the
version i used is in fact employing 'saddlepoint' estimates instead of
'mle'), loess within-normalization and scale between-normalization.

do you, or anybody in the list, have any hint on how could i preprocess
these data in order to try to remove those artifacts?

thanks,

robert.