[BioC] limma normexp background correction bug?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 28 02:28:31 CET 2009

Dear James and Tobias,

Well, I have to eat some of the words from my previous post.  On further
checking, I can see that backgroundCorrect() accesses all the different
normexp methods correctly when the data object RG is a matrix, but not
when it is an RGList.  When RG is an RGList, the normexp always uses the
default (saddlepoint) parameter estimates, regardless of which
normexp.method option was input.

As usual, James is correct, and this also confirms part of what Tobias
said.

The saddlepoint approximation has always been the default normexp method,
so hopefully the current behaviour has not given anyone unexpected
results.

I've fixed the bug today.

Best wishes
Gordon