[BioC] Using Limma for proteomics (2D DIGE) datasets

Keith Satterley keith at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 22 08:04:10 CEST 2009

Hi Tom,

I have checked limmaGUI and I'm not sure why it is not reading your data
files correctly when you use the Other format option. I shall look into
that later. However, I suggest, as Elmer and Tobias do, that you read
the limma Users Guide and use limma at the command line. I have read
your data files that you attached using the code below. You should be
able to proceed on from there, though I will leave it to others to
advise on the statistical approach, as I'm a programmer rather than a
statistician.

 >library(limma)
 >setwd("wherever you stored your data")
 >targets <- readTargets("Brain_kol56_targets2.txt")
 >RG <-
read.maimages(columns=list(R="Cy3",Rb="Cy3_b",G="Cy5",Gb="Cy5_b"),ext="spot")

and looking at your RGlist I get:
 >RG
An object of class "RGList"
$R
brain_56_g1 brain_56_g2
[1,] NA NA
[2,] NA NA
[3,] NA NA
[4,] NA NA
[5,] NA NA
3379 more rows ...

$Rb
brain_56_g1 brain_56_g2
[1,] 0 0
[2,] 0 0
[3,] 0 0
[4,] 0 0
[5,] 0 0
3379 more rows ...

$G
brain_56_g1 brain_56_g2
[1,] NA NA
[2,] NA NA
[3,] NA NA
[4,] NA NA
[5,] NA NA
3379 more rows ...

$Gb
brain_56_g1 brain_56_g2
[1,] 0 0
[2,] 0 0
[3,] 0 0
[4,] 0 0
[5,] 0 0
3379 more rows ...

$targets
FileName
brain_56_g1 brain_56_g1
brain_56_g2 brain_56_g2

$source
[1] "generic"

cheers,

Keith

========================
Keith Satterley
Bioinformatics Division
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Parkville, Melbourne,
Victoria, Australia
=======================

Elmer Fernández wrote:
> [...]
> Yes, you can use limma by hand. You should build the data matrix by hand and
> also the design matrix. I already did it and it works fine. The use of Cy2
> is highly controversial, some people sais that it add noise but most of the
> use the Cy2 information, I recommend to do different approaches and use a
> consensus between all of them.
> Above you will find some good references. The first one uses limma
>
> Bes regard
> Elmer
>

> Kultima K, Scholz B. Alm H. Sköld K. Svensson M. Crossman AR. Bezard E.
> Andrén PE. Lönnstedt I. : (2006) Normalization and expression changes in
> predefined sets of proteins using 2D gel electrophoresis: A proteomic study
> of
> L-DOPA induced dyskinesia in an animal model of Parkinson’s disease using
> DIGE. BMC Bioinformatics 7:475
>
> *Improving 2D-DIGE protein expression analysis by two-stage linear mixed
> models: Assessing experimental effects in a melanoma cell study** *Fernández
> Elmer A, Girotti María R., López Juan A, Llera Andrea S., Podhajcer Osvaldo
> L, Cantet Rodolfo J. C. and Balzarini Mónica* **Bioinformatics** *Advance
> Access published on September 25, 2008; doi:
> doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btn508* [
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18818217?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
> ]*
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Tobias Straub
> <tstraub at med.uni-muenchen.de>wrote:
>

>> hi tom,
>>
>> you can easily call limma without having to construct complex objects such
>> as MAList or alike
>> have a look at ?lmFit
>>
>> if you are able to construct a matrix of either cy3/cy5 ratios or simply
>> the individual channels you are on the right way. if you set the rownames of
>> your matrix to your protein names you will even get back a meaningful output
>> from topTable.
>>
>> another alternative would be to use a wrapper around lmFit such as provided
>> in the 'st' package. advantage here is that you can easily switch to other t
>> statistics such as studentt, efront, sam etc.
>>
>> why you think that moderated t is 'better' than student t. any evidences?
>>
>> best
>> T.
>>

>> On Oct 18, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Tom Wenseleers wrote:
>>
>>  Dear all,
>>
>>> I am interested in using Limma/LimmaGUI for the analysis of proteomics (2D
>>> DIGE) datasets. I have had a try with LimmaGUI, however, I seem to keep on
>>> getting the message "limmaGUI was unable to read in the gene list from the
>>> raw (image analysis) files." (although the Cy3 and Cy5 data are read in
>>> fine) - any idea what I could be doing wrong? Main thing is I don't know how
>>> I should call the gene (well protein) list column... I attach a couple of
>>> the .spot files and the targets file for your info. I chose
>>> File...New...selected my targets file, then Type of Image processing